Roz’s Curried Chickpea Salad
Enjoy this great recipe from our very own Roz a practicing pescetarian.
Curried Chickpea Salad
- 1 cans (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 – 5 scallions/green onions (about 1 cup), sliced
- 1/2 cup raw or toasted chopped up cashews
- 1/3 cup thinned hummus or tahini
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- mineral salt & cracked pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine hummus with lemon juice, curry & garlic powder and a generous pinch of salt. Blend until combined. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, add chickpeas and roughly mash about 1/2 of the beans with the back of a sturdy fork or potato masher.Add in the carrots, scallions,cashews and hummus, mix well to combine.Taste for flavor adding mineral salt and cracked pepper to taste.Serve as is on a bed of leafy greens, with crackers, or made into a sandwich with bread of choice.Notes:If your hummus is on the thick side, thin it out with water until desired thinness. Using a small bowl add a couple rounded tablespoons of hummus with 1 tablespoon of water. Adding more of each as you go until you have a thinner hummus. Do the same if using tahini. Feel free to use more for a super creamy salad. If your measuring by tablespoons…8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup and about 11 tablespoons = 2/3 cups (technically 10 T + 2t).